Thursday, November 18, 2010

Destroy your sigils or save them?

When I see people explaining how sigil magick works and how to do it, I often see destruction of the sigil as one of the final steps in the working.  This works well when each sigil is created for a very specific, one-time use.  What about if you want to have a collection of sigils that you can flip through to find the appropriate one, then charge it for use?

The setback I see in this is that it may be hard for you to let go of the sigil once it is charged and fired off.  If you dwell on it consciously then it might not work properly because you're not allowing the subconscious to do its job.  On the other hand, wouldn't using the same sigil over and over eventually make it more powerful?  Wouldn't it be similar to the traditional magickal figures of the pentagram, hexagram, etc.?  These are simple figures, highly symbolic, and some would argue that they are so powerful because they've been used so much.

So, which is better?  Do you destroy the sigil to allow it to do its thing or do you keep it so you can use it again?  I don't have an answer to that.  I suspect it depends on individual skill and what you feel most comfortable with.  Personally, I'm fond of the idea of having a collection of sigils and symbols that can be consulted and utilized for specific purposes.  Whether my subconscious would agree isn't something I can tell you.

Then there's the practice of keeping the sigil until the desire has manifested and then destroying it to release the energy.  As you can see, there are very few hard-and-fast rules for this type of magick and I think that's one of its major advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment