Monday, October 18, 2010

Extraterrestrials as demons?

UFOlogy is a very deep and complex subject and I expect to discuss various aspects of it as I post more blog entries.  The specific topic I'm going to focus on now however is the view that what are commonly seen as extraterrestrials and their spacecraft are actually demons.  To clarify, I mean demons in the sense that most of Christianity knows them (and demons are a whole topic all by themselves).  I'm talking about malevolent supernatural entities, commonly seen as the antithesis of angels.

I think I was first introduced to the idea that extraterrestrials (aliens, if you will) are actually demons about eight or so months ago at a UFO/Paranormal lecture.  The speaker was a religious man, having gone to divinity school if I'm not mistaken.  Since I don't get the opportunity to attend such lectures very often I thought I'd check it out even if I thought it was a little strange that someone with that background claimed to be a paranormal scholar of this variety.  Without going into too much detail (this story could provide a completely separate blog post of its own), about halfway through the night the speaker began to "get down to business," so to speak.

At this point we had discussed predominantly UFOs and extraterrestrials, covering all the major bases of the UFO/alien lore.  Then this lecturer dropped a bit of a bomb on me.  He suggested something that seemed completely strange and absurd to me at the time because it seemed very foreign to my way of thinking.  He suggested that aliens were not actually creatures from another planet and that they were actually demons.  Malevolent spiritual entities taking the form of "aliens" in order to corrupt and damn us.  I won't go into all of the intricacies of this because I honestly can't.  At this point the night seemed to take a more evangelical turn and that had me in something of a squirm-in-your-seat kind of uneasiness that lasted until I left the building.  That said, this lecturer brings to mind an interesting suggestion.

Typing this now, I remember seeing references to extraterrestrials (or at least the "bad" ones) as being evil, followers of Satan, working against God, etc. prior to this lecture but I can't recall someone ever stating that ETs were literal demons taking form to torment and deceive mankind before this.  While studying Fortean lore, I came across the concept of one being taken away and brought back by fairies.  Again, fairies may even merit their own individual blog post; there's a lot more to fairies than Tinkerbell.  Anyway, when looking over these accounts, there are a lot of similarities between ancient encounters with fairies and modern encounters with UFOs/aliens, abduction being just one of the commonalities.  Could extraterrestrials be supernatural entities rather than flesh and blood creatures from other planets?

Everything we claim to know through science suggests that it is very, very unlikely that extraterrestrials are visiting or ever have visited Earth.  The vastness of space and the technology required make the possibility of aliens visiting our planet a very slim one indeed.  This is what science tells us.  But what if the "aliens" are already here?  There are a number of avenues to go from this question, but for the purpose of this post I'm going to choose the fairy folk/demon avenue.  Suppose these entities are supernatural beings, mostly native to our planet (or at least our general level of existence) that have been here as long as we have or longer.  What if only our perception of them has changed?  In the past it was fairies and magic; in the modern age it is extraterrestrials and spacecraft.  Perhaps this is how we rationalize these experiences in the the current age.

None of this really sheds any new light on the subject of UFOs/aliens and I'm certainly not the first person to propose this line of thinking, but it does give one something else to consider.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  I'm convinced of the reality of the UFO phenomenon but I have absolutely no idea what is behind it, whether it's extraterrestrials, fairies, demons, Earth energies, or any of the other less-than-conventional ideas.  I can't throw down an opinion one way or another.  Maybe you can though.

Let me know what you think in the comments or use the poll to the right.  Or you can do both if you're so inclined.

1 comment:

  1. There's always the other side of the coin to consider, as well -- what in the past we took to be signs from god, miracles, sightings of angels or demons might be considered as previous emanations of alien technology. Who knows.

    I like the idea that there may be a sort of lens we have as human beings that registers what is in essence the same thing, that this lens shifts our 'perspective' into something else as we evolve and place ourselves into a different cultural mindset as before.

    ReplyDelete