Thursday, October 28, 2010

Something I learned today about Wicca.

I learned that if you really want to make Wiccans and their supporters very upset all you have to do is mention that Gerald Gardner plagiarized Aleister Crowley.  Bonus points for providing specific examples.

When I first learned about all of this plagiarism business I was very surprised.  At the same time I was rather amused.  It becomes even more amusing when you look into the deeper history of Wicca and Gerald Gardner.  This says nothing towards the validity or efficacy of that particular path, but I think maybe Wiccans should lighten up a little bit.

Wiccans can always say that the Outer Court teachings (the plagiarized stuff) are not as valid as the Inner Court teachings which are oathbound (meaning you take an oath not to reveal them).  The "real" Wicca being oathbound makes it very easy to defend it as no one is able to discuss it.  There's really nothing wrong with any of this at all until a "holier-than-thou" attitude creeps in and then, I feel, it becomes necessary to put the whole matter into perspective.

For further reading I provide the following links.  As always, feel free to leave a comment.

The Great Wicca Hoax - Part One
The Great Wicca Hoax - Part Two
The Thelemic Origins of Wicca

1 comment:

  1. read the reaction of a Holier than thou "Wiccan" when exposed on http://lokisgazette.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete