Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Is there a greater significance to the lunar eclipse on the solstice?

Most people are probably aware of the lunar eclipse that is in progress as I type this as it's been on the news a lot.  This will be the first total lunar eclipse to coincide with the solstice since 1638.  There's a possibility that the moon may even turn blood red.

I've seen some forum chatter about special magical significances or the like, but I don't really know of anything specific myself.  I was considering using the occasion to empower a ritual tool, but the weather conditions are not favorable for eclipse viewing where I'm at.  In any case, it sets my mind to wondering about the magical possibilities for such a rare event.  There's a lot of symbolism involved.

The Winter Solstice (in the Northern Hemisphere) is the longest night of the year and we have the light of the full moon being covered by the Earth's shadow.  If you are in the Southern Hemisphere then you have the shortest night of the year with a full moon being obscured by the Earth.  I think in both situations there are deeper truths to be pondered when considering the event.

The event itself may hold no power at all, but the power we give to it may be all that's needed to serve whatever purposes we may have.

The eclipse at Space.com

No comments:

Post a Comment