Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stimulus Seekers Do Better on ESP Tests

I finally got around to reading Daryl Bem's paper that I mentioned in this post.  (You can find the whole paper in .pdf format here.)  I have to say that I'm impressed and I'm anxious to see if this paper will have a very large impact.  One thing that it does make more clear is that extroverts (specifically stimulus seekers) seem to do better on ESP tests.  This makes psychological sense based on what we know about cortical arousal and stimulus-seeking tendencies.

This is not the first study to discover this; it builds on earlier work that says essentially the same thing.  So, if you're the type of person that gets bored easily you may do better on ESP tests than an introvert.  I still think we're a while away from unlocking the secrets of psi, but at least this is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment