Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Levitation

Levitation is typically viewed as the fare of mystics and ascetics that have dedicated themselves solely to their practice and acquire this ability through experience.  Levitation may also be demonstrated by saints or other holy figures.  One has to ask themselves if levitation isn't perhaps an allegory for spiritual attainment.

Another possibility for explaining the phenomenon of levitation is that it is a feeling of levity, rather than actually rising into the air.  I have experienced a sensation of levitation while meditating before.  I felt as if I was floating in the air above where I had seated myself.  However, it was obvious that I had not left the ground when I came out of my meditation.  If I had more skill in this, would I be able to actually levitate?  I don't know.  I've only had this levitation sensation happen once before and I don't meditate as much as I should anymore.

What about true levitation then?  Does it exist or is it just an allegory or symbol for some psychological or spiritual process that is internal?  There are plenty of accounts throughout history from those that have witnessed levitation.  There were many mediums in the days of spiritualism that were said to be able to levitate objects or themselves.  Many of these were proven to be frauds, but there are a few cases that were not so easy to write off.  One such case is that of D.D. Home.  Home had many powers but his most impressive feats were those of levitation; both of objects and of himself.  Home, while accused of being a fraud, was never caught performing any kind of trickery despite being examined by scientists and performing his feats in normal lighting.

Knowing this, I have to say that I don't think that true levitation is impossible.

If you would like to learn more about the feats of D.D. Home then please see this page at paranormal.about.com.  You may also be interested in my post about the siddhis.

No comments:

Post a Comment